Glide is the oldest known Chesapeake Bay sailing log canoe in existence. She has been owned by the Adams family of Kent, Dorchester and Anne Arundel Counties for over 50 years.
Gilde was built by Hammond Skinner in 1823 in Town Point, Dorchester County. She was originally named Monkey by her builder, as a tribute to a little girl who played on her hull while under construction. Glide as also known as Daredevil during part of her career.
Glide was used as a working boat until approximately 40 years ago. Unlike most log canoes, she was never converted for motorized operation. This has preserved the integrity of her hull. She has no propeller shaft hole and she was never drilled for one.
Glide's bottom is fashioned from 3 pine planks helded together by pegged biscuit cross-pieces. Her topsides are built up with planks which are internally braced. Two thwarts serve as main and mizzen mast supports. Hollowed blocks are fitted to the central log, under each thwart to serve as mast steps.
The hull is completed by masterful joinery that structurally integrates the 3 central logs with the bow and stem pieces.
Glide's topside consists or trimmed narrow "half-deck" finished with a band of narrow coaming. The builders Harrison and Chapelle are know to have worked on Glide to restored her when she was wrecked during a hurricane.
The Adams fanily have given Rock Hall Marine Restoration & Heritage Center her lines to care for and restore her.